zaterdag 7 januari 2012

Monkey business / beestenboel



So what makes this place different from Crete? After all we've got sun, sea, good food, nice room etc. but we've never had 2 monkeys playing on the roof at 2.30 in the morning in Agi Galini. Check out the film (taken later). We haven't seen any cockroaches and I refuse to listen to the 'horror' stories related by women standing in the breakfast queue behind me. I suspect that some tv programmes explore the delights of exotic creatures that travel without tickets only to jump out at innocent Dutch women when thy retrieve the dirty washing from their suitcases. Ah well, the joys of being a houswife....

Incidentally I'm getting on fine with my new e-reader. I finished reading the Nicky French yesterday - I can't believe how bad the English was, Daphne isn't it a cardinal sin to write sentences without verbs?  So, today I started reading a regular book but had to smile when I caught myself pressing a word on the page for the dictionary which did not appear. The word was conniption, so you word freaks can look it up and let me know later what it means.

Het is een ware beestenboel hier voor de deur van onze 'cabana'. Vannacht al was er een enorm kabaal op het dak van spelende, of misschien wel vechtende apen (zie filmpje dat later is opgenomen bij een buurman). Op een kruising van papegaaien en kraaien lijkende vogels vliegen rond en eekhoorns springen van palmboom naar palmboom, daarbij grote afstanden overbruggend. En bijna anderhalve meter gekko's lopen op hun gemak rond.
Ik ben overigens bang dat Julie al helemaal gedigitaliseerd is: meer daarover in haar Engelse tekst. Morgenavond  vliegen we terug naar Kuala Lumpur, slapen in het Pan Pacific Hotel op de luchthaven en vliegen vervolgens maandag naar Auckland. Aankomst daar dinsdag rond 13.00 uur. Tot dan vermoedelijk geen activiteiten op deze blog.
PS: het begint net te gieten. Buitje voor het stof?

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Gelukkkig zaten jullie niet in de luchtballon die neer is gestort en daarmee iets van 5 echtparen de dood in sleurde, pfew!
    For Julie: conniption:
    n (often plural) US and Canadian slang a fit of rage or tantrums
    Wat een exotische gasten hebben jullie, mooi he?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hi Julie, as far as I know is the translation of the word "conniption" in dutch "hysterie-aanval".

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen